Thursday, May 19, 2016

Memoirs with Jeremy



Well, I have hit the five year mark.  It seemed an impossible journey at the inception of our tragedy.  I was told by other moms that have lost children that it would take between three to five years to join the human race again.  At the time, five years seemed to be millions of years away.

There is truth to the numbers.  I am more functional than even a year ago.  The sadness never leaves you - not sure I will every completely be happy again; but I do have happy moments. 

When I would have a happy moment several years back I would have a twinge of guilt about it.  I am not sure why except it just didn't seem to fit in my world without Jeremy.  However; with that being said I know he wants me to be happy and I grasp at happiness as much and as often is possible.  It is a quandary actually because I don't want him feeling guilty about leaving us so soon.  Irrational; I know.  But, there is nothing rational about losing your child.

I am astounded at the number of moms who have lost children.  Standing in a store one day I overheard two women discussing losing their sons.  I couldn't help but say "I lost my son too".  Right there in the same aisle with women from young to elderly were five women in one spot that had lost a child.  I was astounded - I guess that would fall into the category that misery loves company.  But, what it did for me was to help me overcome feeling alone and an enigma.  It made me stronger knowing if they could do it so can I.  I would really like to think I do so with some dignity as well.  These women were my heroes at the end of the day.

Yes, five years on 04-06-11 - he was 26 for three weeks.  I miss him until it hurts.  I have cried until there are no more tears.  I have become a recluse in these five years and am now being a little social.  Life doesn't shine like it did before and I have little to offer any kind of relationship...I am surviving.  That it what we are - survivors. 

I am a bit more social these last six months so the numbers of 3-5 years rings very true for me.  My life has totally changed.  I live in a small town in an rural area with my four-legged children and have started a small business that keeps me busy.  The fur babies and small business give me a reason to get up and start my day.

This might sound boring and even a small step forward, but it is huge for me.  I am thankful for every day now and go about thanking God for what I do have and for the opportunity and blessing of being Jeremy's mom.  I would do it all again for him....He is my Sonshine.

In loving memory,
Proud Mom of Ssgt. Jeremy D. Smith USMC 03-09-85-04-06-11


No comments:

Post a Comment